and its another fine error ms got me into.

Computer builds, hardware and software discussion or troubleshooting, including peripherals. Essentially a general place to talk about desktop computers.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

now I got trouble on the other computer it won't show any web page with any browser it connects
to the server it just won't show any web pages,

I cleaned up the code pages and got rid of 79 bad code pages but it still won't show any page
I only updated to the new avg that came out last week.

but that was done on this computer also and it still works on the same isp and phone and server.
the other computer won't.
any ideas of what it might be and how to fix it?

okay now for more on the above.

i got it to show the web pages by going to system restore and going back to the 15th of the month. which has changed the avg to the older version.

but now i can't go back there since i have been doing so many updates and reboots trying to fix it that there is no older then noon today.

but when i got online i updated at windows update. and got some other updates
then i tried to get the avg back to the new version and did but it would not go online to update it?

now i was able to do a restore then. but i got a ie that looks like ie 7 with out menu bars or options to put them there. and it says its ie 6.

i could not get online with the new avg so i took it out and now it says i got the old avg 7. in the system i updated to the older avg 8 of last week.
but it won't show any icons? and still says avg 7 is in the system.
so i did an restore to the noon back up point and got it back to the old avg of last week again but it still won't show the full shell of the ie 7 and still says ie 6.

but i am online with it now and updating the or gettng the update for the avg program so i can try to get that working with the computer.

it is strange that computer did this? it was the same set up as this computer and this one used the dial up line as normal.
and shows the ie 7 as it should.

i am just at a loss as to what in the m$ is going on with that other computer.

i'll let you know how the avg update works this time. but i still am looking for any help on this m$ muck up

:banghead:

:banghead:

:angry:

:banghead: :banghead:

:dosgonebad:

:cry:

:banghead: :smashpc:

:huh: :unsure:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:5098, old post ID:39130
roving cowboy/ keith
richardj

Post by richardj »

You DO NOT WANT IE7--EVER.

If you have an HP printer, it'll even screw the printer software up.

That being said, if you have it, remove it through the add & remove panel and it should restore it to IE6.

It will try to automatically download as an update, so you have to un-select it before it installs.

You need to set your auto update to 'notify me but don't automatically download.' Then you can pick out what you want to download, as well as cutting out the Genuine Advantage that it will try to download; as this keeps looking at your PC and sending info back to MS.

In your registry editor search for this key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftActive SetupInstalled Components{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}

In the right panel click on isinstalled and change it from 1 to a 0.

This tells Windows that IE6 is NOT installed. Than find IE.inf and right click and click install and then reboot.

The above is for Windows XP.

As far as it not connecting, download a copy of Winsock Repair and just run it.

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html :awesome:

LSP FIX http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

OR, if you can't get online--open a command prompt and type in the following:

netsh winsock reset catalog

Many Internet connectivity problems are caused by corrupt winsock settings. Windows sockets settings may become corrupted due to a networking software installation, such as spyware. A winsock reset restores Windows Socket settings to defaults, which may help to restore connectivity to the computer.

:dosgonebad:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:5098, old post ID:39131
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

i don't know about that richardj. i have had ie 7 since it was released
and only on one other time has it messed up and i think that was when i first installed in on the other computer of the 3 i have here with xp on.

the one that messed up now has been working fine for years. i just can't seem to get it to load all the shell. i did try the remove but it is only showing part of the shell and saying its ie 6. like it was before.

i thought i had a good copy of ie 7 install in that computer i might not though? i'll have to find it again and see if it will work. the winsock thing was done also but i'll try it again, now that i got the avg updated and working.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:5098, old post ID:39133
roving cowboy/ keith
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

:banghead: :banghead: :cry: :cry:

okay okay i am just about to toss it in the junk pile.

but i did get the ie 7 browser setup again from online
and put it on that computer it fixed the browser now so it shows
the tool bars and options menus.

but it still won't go online.

i've got new repair programs for ls... or winsock and it still
finds nothing wrong with the winsock.

it just won't make an http connection, it will make the ftp connections.

but most the programs i use won't connect through the ftp and or i
did not set them up that way. the avg needs the http connection to work
but i got it updated by downloading from this one like i did for the ie
and taking it to that other computer.

still that other one not making the http connection is driving me crazy.

:bsod:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:5098, old post ID:39138
roving cowboy/ keith
onykage

Post by onykage »

rov,

hold your horses. :P

do me a favor.

pull up cmd. (start>run>cmd)

highlight and copy the code below.

Code: Select all

cmd /c ping 4.2.2.4 > c:fixme.txt && ipconfig /all >> c:fixme.txt && tracert www.iceteks.com >> c:fixme.txt[code]

right click on the command window and click paste.  Hit enter and attach the file fixme.txt located on your C drive to this thread.

Lets start with the complete basics first then move on to more advanced possibilities.

**edit
ps..   if you on dialup, make sure to connect to the dial service before you do the above. 

[color=#888888][size=85]Archived topic from Iceteks,  old topic ID:5098, old post ID:39139[/size][/color]
www.onykage.com | www.q3schools.com
If I shoot you in the face with a green thorn, would you spawn an attitude?
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

i aint posting all the path ways right back to my computer forget that.

but reply from 4.2.2.4 was done 4 times and each time was 117 to 127 milliseconds ttl on all = 253
avarage =120 milliseconds

no packets lost

win ip config

primary dns suffix is blank
node type is unknown
ip routing enabled is no
wins proxy enabled is no

my ethernet is disconnected cause it was only for local network with this computer when that computer was an winMe system. i have not set it up since i made it a winxp system because i took the ethernet card out of this computer.

ppp adapter
connection specific dns suffix is blank again.
description is wan ppp/slip interface
physical address... not saying
dhcp enabled is no
ip address.... not saying
subnet mask... not saying.
default gateway .... not saying.
dns servers... not saying either of them.
netbios over tcpip is disabled.

tracing route to iceteks over a maximum of 30 hops.

1 116 ms 210 ms 109 ms
2 119 ms 109 ms 109 ms
3 119 ms 179 ms 109 ms
4 109 ms 109 ms 109 ms
5 109 ms 119 ms 109 ms
6 109 ms 109 ms 109 ms
7 119 ms 109 ms 105 ms

trace complete.

thats all there is except the address numbers i did not say.

okay now for what the dignos... from windows said.

Last diagnostic run time: 04/15/09 09:34:15 Network Adapter Diagnostic
Network location detection

info Using home Internet connection
Network adapter identification

info Network connection: Name=Local Area Connection, Device=Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=LAN
info Network connection: Name=1394 Connection, Device=1394 Net Adapter, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=1394
info Network connection: Name=MSN 1, Device=MDP7800-U Modem, MediaType=PHONE, SubMediaType=NONE
info Ethernet connection selected
Network adapter status

info Network connection status: Media disconnected
warn Network adapter status not healthy
action Manual repair: Reconnect network cable
info User has reconnected the network cable
info The network adapter is in a transient status, retrying...
warn Network adapter status not healthy
info Redirecting user to support call
info Redirecting user to support call

HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostic
HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity

warn HTTP: Error 12029 connecting to www.microsoft.com: A connection with the server could not be established
info HTTPS: Successfully connected to www.microsoft.com.
info FTP (Passive): Successfully connected to ftp.microsoft.com.
warn HTTP: Error 12029 connecting to www.hotmail.com: A connection with the server could not be established
error Could not make an HTTP connection.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:5098, old post ID:39140
roving cowboy/ keith
onykage

Post by onykage »

rovingcowboy wrote: warn HTTP: Error 12029 connecting to www.microsoft.com: A connection with the server could not be established
info HTTPS: Successfully connected to www.microsoft.com.
info FTP (Passive): Successfully connected to ftp.microsoft.com.
warn HTTP: Error 12029 connecting to www.hotmail.com: A connection with the server could not be established
error Could not make an HTTP connection.
Hmm, ok well that says that your modem is working properly and you can see the outside world. What that also says is port 80 is blocked.

Now is it in the modem props, the host file, or the program your using to connect to the internet.

Host file is probs default, but if your not sure, just open it in notepad and clear it.

c:WindowsSystem32driversetchost

I cant really tell whats going on with your DNS which is a huge factor because I cant see your ipconfig output.

Also the program your using, the diagnostics on it are sketchy but thats more cause I dont know how to read it probably.

You can see the internet, when you ping the dns it proves that.
You can see ports 20,22, and Im not 100% sure but I believe https is port 8080. That means that port 80 is blocked which is the http port.

try this, under networks/network connections goto properties on your modem. Once in there, make sure you dont have any port forwarding enabled somewhere in there, if not there look in the firewall settings If neither exist or isnt the issue then the only thing left is AVG. It may also be forwarding the ports with its built in firewall. If nothing else works, completely remove AVG and try to get on the internet. If removing AVG works then you know the source of the issue and we can move from there.

If nothing works, pm me the output from the ipconfig /all so I can look at it closer. No worries, unless your a multi billionaire its truly a complete waste of my time to try and hack you. :stir the pot:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:5098, old post ID:39141
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

well that makes sense now that you say its port being blocked. as a possible thing? i wonder if avg found that out and that is why they brought out another new version about 2 weeks after the one i installed.?

will have to get that one installed later and see.

i do as you can tell believe its the avg version in there that is doing it or caused it some how. since it did the first time when i removed it allow all the browsers to connect to http.

i'll get that done and let you know. oh i did clean out the dns cache still no luck.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:5098, old post ID:39142
roving cowboy/ keith
onykage

Post by onykage »

rovingcowboy wrote: i do as you can tell believe its the avg version in there that is doing it or caused it some how. since it did the first time when i removed it allow all the browsers to connect to http.
Well there you go, just remove AVG all together. You dont really need it anyway. It doesnt actually work like its supposed to anyway. None of the "anti-viral" programs do.

I can tell you how to give yourself the same protection with just changing 1 file. No extra programs =)

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:5098, old post ID:39143
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

yep i can stop the use of the avg programs also by removing one file.

its called the dun file.

ha ha ha.

avg does work it has caught worms and virus's trying to get in here several times.

i won't take it out and leave it out if anyone has an av program don't remove it just get it up dated and or find a better one to replace it.

thats what i tell them. there are so many hackers out there its impossible to be safe with out any form of protection from them when you dial up.

but this computer that is causing me headaches was an winme system i upgraded to xp pro. it seems to want slightly different things done for the same programs and stuff. not sure why but that is a strange system?
i still have not updated that avg in the system yet so i can't yet say if that fixed it.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:5098, old post ID:39144
roving cowboy/ keith
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

upgraded the avg to april's engine upgrade and it still does not let me open the http servers.

so if it is the port being blocked how would i get it unblocked.

or does this need a firewall update also? not sure if it is needing a new zone alarm or not?

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:5098, old post ID:39145
roving cowboy/ keith
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

:happycomputer:

its working now.

got word in another forum where i posted also more thinking on it the better.

but the other guy hit the nail on the head the first try.

the computer is an old winMe system the hd is fat32 system.

AVG 7.5 was last one to work on that fat32 system as in going online and getting
updates for avg.

i had upgraded to avg 8 but it was not going on line and getting updates.

i got tired of moving them from here to there via thumb drive, so i reinstalled avg 7.5 and it was working fine for some time then one day it stopped getting the avg updates again. i didn't know what happened but it must have auto updated to avg 8 again. but it did not stop it from getting on line at that time.

it was only until last month that it was stopped getting any http connections.

way to fix it is simple

download newest avg 8.5 it does not have that fat32 error.

then uninstall the avg program from your system. completely not any hotkeys left or anything search for avg in the folders and just delete the folders with that.
then run registry cleaner to make sure the hotkeys are gone. turn off system restore and then reboot computer. check again for any avg leftovers.

when you find none the install the avg 8.5 you just downloaded
it will work then.

so its just that avg 8 has a ntfs only setting. :bsod:
they got that out of the new
avg 8.5 version. :awesome:

but that only apply's if you have a fat32 hd system. and are still using avg 7.5 :handintest:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:5098, old post ID:39146
roving cowboy/ keith
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

update

the error can happen on ntfs systems also. so do the same fix. uninstall avg completely and then reinstall new avg 8.5.

this is just if you have had avg7.5 on your system at any time. which most of us did. we got it then kept upgrading with out uninstalling the previous version. this is what causes the error to show up on the ntfs systems.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:5098, old post ID:39147
roving cowboy/ keith
onykage

Post by onykage »

so it was the antivirus fw. well aleast its working now :)

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:5098, old post ID:39148
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

yep it was the av's fault but it was caused by an error in the old 7.5 version which just got fixed in the new version so it was messing up the systems when we did not do the removal of the previous version before we upgraded.

since i've found this and got it fixed on my 3 computers here i've had to help fix it on several other computers so my having it first again in this go around seems to have been so i could help them that ask me for help.

i don't know why they ask me i keep telling them to come here to the forum and to other forums and ask in them. but i guess they either can't get to the forum or just find it faster to ask me and let my fingers were the ink off the keyboard keys its not any big matter,

but this time i had to ask for my self first. B)

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:5098, old post ID:39149
roving cowboy/ keith
onykage

Post by onykage »

heh, easier and faster to ask you directly. I have people who do that to me too.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:5098, old post ID:39150