TC1 FEEDBACK: Artifact Changes

Information on new updates to the shard as well as what's to come
Death

Post by Death »

ggkthx wrote:Revelation looks like a nice mace wep now, though I'm no authority on macers.

Horseman's Helm, other than I can't see myself paragon farming at all, looks good.

Jungle Walker's Bow, looks good.

Longshot, mortal on xbow is nice, but I personally liked Longshot for moving shot. But compromised version is better than no version, and hopefully addresses your concerns with it.

God of the Sky is cool.

Red Dragon's, seems alright, would love to trade that self repair 3 for the extra 2% SDI tho. And I have no idea how I'm going to fix the impending energy resist hole in my suit, heh.

I'm still going to advocate for abolishing the self repair property on artifacts. They've got 255 durability, at least they should need to be repaired now and then. We already never need to eat or drink anything, its not like life is hard. Repairing gear makes crafters seem slightly relevant and repair deeds simplified the process so very much already.

Oh, was looking at Pyrolisk's Furor again. For flavor reasons alone, could it have a hit fire area added on it? Just thought that would be cool. But if not that's fine too. Oh, and clearly I vote for removing Self Repair 3 ;)
Thank you for the feedback on the new items. Looks as though the first row is getting narrowed down. We encourage other players to voice their opinions on the changes from the first row (See first post in this thread).

Pyrolisk's furor was designed to be similar to lava shaka stick in that it is meant to be used on a single target. An area attack would limit its use on a single target, especially with the weapon specials, as area attacks are best suited for the black staff which has whirlwind attack. The area fire idea DOES suit the pyrolisk's furor, so we may play around with it to see if it's a feasible idea. If not, we will definitely consider it for a different weapon.

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:5902, old post ID:35719
ggkthx

Post by ggkthx »

There was a request for a black staff item, 2 birds one stone?
Make Pyrolisk's an orange/red black staff with some hit fire area worked in there somehow for whirlwind fun?
There is after all a couple other quarter staff artifacts. Shrug.

Don't have a macer, so it's all academic to me, but I have talked about making one for ages.

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:5902, old post ID:35720
I didn't choose the Fel life, the Fel life chose me.
Death

Post by Death »

ggkthx wrote:There was a request for a black staff item, 2 birds one stone?
Make Pyrolisk's an orange/red black staff with some hit fire area worked in there somehow for whirlwind fun?

Don't have a macer, so it's all academic to me, but I have talked about making one for ages.
Might not be a bad idea, follows lore and gives mace fighting some power. We'll try something out.

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:5902, old post ID:35721
Nexus Graveheart

Post by Nexus Graveheart »

Death wrote:
ggkthx wrote:There was a request for a black staff item, 2 birds one stone?

Might not be a bad idea, follows lore and gives mace fighting some power. We'll try something out.
Only thing I see conflicting about this is that the magma staff is also a fire-based black staff drop. Seems silly to have two. The Pyrolisk's Furor looks good to me at the moment. Except that it would be nice to see one property exceed the cap on loot and crafted items, or perhaps make it a bird slayer, since pyrolisk's detest phoenix.

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:5902, old post ID:35722
Death

Post by Death »

Nexus Graveheart wrote: Only thing I see conflicting about this is that the magma staff is also a fire-based black staff drop. Seems silly to have two. The Pyrolisk's Furor looks good to me at the moment. Except that it would be nice to see one property exceed the cap on loot and crafted items, or perhaps make it a bird slayer, since pyrolisk's detest phoenix.
Thought about that, and thought about the blaze of death as well. I think it may be best to rework the properties on the pyrolisk's furor staff to be a quarter staff meant for damage against 1 monster.

We'll look into a different weapon in the list that can be converted to a black staff with a different elemental attack, possibly whirlwind and poison, cold or energy.

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:5902, old post ID:35723
Death

Post by Death »

Pyrolisk's Furor = Decided to keep the properties as is. We could add hit fire area to it, then that would lead to other changes such as the weapon type, the properties that go with it, etc.

Instead, we will be creating a black staff artifact that is specifically designed to be used with the whirlwind special. So for one of the items that is looking to be removed due to overall usefulness can be made into this new artifact.

If there are any major objections, let us know

Red Dragon's Grapple = The latest version is the one that is planned for production. So far there is a voiced concern about the use of self repair. Self repair should exist on some artifacts as it is a property in the game and should be used. The original version came with self repair so it was carried over. The 2 SDI was restored.

If there are any major objections, let us know

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:5902, old post ID:35724
Death

Post by Death »

The last 2 items in the first row are almost done and just need a final review, so we've opened up the second row for review. Please consult the first post for "orange" entries as they need to be reviewed. Here's the items from row 2:

Searing Pain (AOA) -> Searing Pain (AOA)
The Barrier (AOA) -> Barrier Crest (AOA)
The Blizzard (AOA) -> The Blizzard (AOA)
Math Triangle Book (AOA) -> Lifeless Whisper (Gauntlet)
Dual Wall Generator (AOA) -> Dual Wall Generator(AOA)
Brace of Paracelsus (AOA) -> Brace of Paracelsus (Paracelsus)
Lightning Shoes (AOA) -> Lightning Shoes (GAOA)
Boots of Dexterity (AOA) -> Boots of Dexterity (AOA)
Boots of Construction (AOA) -> AOA Reroll
Charm of the Domesticator (AOA) -> Charm of the Domesticator (GAOA)
Gravestone (AOA) -> Tombstone of the Damned (Grizzle Peerless)
Idol of the Champion (AOA) -> Evil Idol Skull (Harrower drop)
Iron Maiden (AOA) -> Iron Maiden (Heritage Token)

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:5902, old post ID:35726
ggkthx

Post by ggkthx »

Comments on latest items:

Searing Pain, sure.

Barrier Crest, like the change to kite shield. I didn't think the Barrier was particularly usable before and the nerfed version is laughable in my opinion. 10hp is nice, granted, but I can loot 15/15 fc1 shields with better resists like nothing, not to mention crafting them, so I just can't see anyone ever using it.
But maybe I'm jaded?

Blizzard, losing luck, sad panda, nothing wrong with some random luck items, on the other hand it was pretty random on there, and a lot of it. Didn't see it being a key piece of anyone's luck suit though. :) Spell Channeling on there seemed basically irrelevant so no loss, would almost always be a chiv or necro char using that anyway.

Lifeless Whisper, really like it, I really love SDI on items though, so that was a bummer, but aside from whining about that, like the skill change, the name change, and the LRC a lot. Trade you HP Regen 5 for 10-12 SDI? ;)

Duel Wall, I actually liked the shield graphic etc, but no biggie. Like the tag change. :)

Bracelet of Paracelsus. Really? Losing the fun & cool random skill from an item that's moving to a champ no one does anyway? I can see the item move, certainly. But it was cool seeing what skill you'd get from it, and finding a useful one was what really made it fit in a suit over say a different arty brac, or even just a 15/15 with dexer mods, or a 1/3 with lrc etc. I dunno, just saying I don't see how it was overpowered, it was just kinda cool and sometimes fit just right. They still mostly just sat around looking pretty instead of getting used.

Lightning Shoes, like that it didn't change, makes sense as a GAoA.

Boots of Dex, yup I'm lovin' it. Any chance at it available as being a random boots/shoes/sandals drop? For those who like a certain look, makes different ones desirable to different people, opens up sale & trade opportunities.

Construction worker boots, helpful in certain weird circumstances or a quick resist boost to a new characters starter suit, but really no complaints about it going away either. If anyone objects I'd counter with at least a name change, drop system change, and if necessary a prop adjustment.

Charm of Domesticator: Another good change, makes sense as a GAoA.

Tombstone, my understanding is it hasn't dropped as an AoA in a long time anyway? I've certainly never gotten one since I've been here and neither has anyone I know, out of maybe 200-300+ aoa drops. So, seeing it reappear in any system makes me happy. Only question, are all tombstones really tombstones of the damned? No one good ever got/gets a tombstone? One graphic pictured, I assume others are also available?

Idol Skull, bummed about it moving to a much rarer drop, but I get it, seems good.

Iron Maiden, sure, makes sense.

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:5902, old post ID:35732
Death

Post by Death »

Barrier Crest: Properties are a switch up from the standard as 15/15 shields tend to be common.

Blizzard: Was created as more of a warrior weapon. There are a lot of better alternatives to luck and spell channeling that they were non-essential to the weapon.

Lifeless Whisper: The properties were added to pair up best with necromancy and to give it something truly unique. The LRC is the replacement for the SDI.

Duel Wall: The token type graphic is unique and well rounded so it's not confused with another chaos shield. The tag will help determine its use.

Bracelet of Paracelsus: Can keep the random skill in but it seemed somewhat out of place for the item. Paracelsus is the master of the elements so it made more sense to have him drop a bracelet with all resists (Original version was missing physical). We'll see what everyone else thinks however. The move to the Paracelsus boss was more suitable, given the name.

Boots of Dex: It's possible to give it a random footwear type but probably best to keep it as is so that there's no confusion.

Tombstone: They stopped dropping from AOAs a while back. This is for any of them that still remain. The grizzle peerless drops the same kind of tombstones in several different looks so it's a merge over.

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:5902, old post ID:35736
Nexus Graveheart

I like the changes in this set.

The Barrier Crest may have gotten a downgrade of mods, but it is more unique now. And it could easily fit in to a person trying to build a suit, or who needs it to bring certain things to the cap. Not all artifacts need to be at the apex of usability, and I think this one does have some usefulness.

Blizzard is great. I never even paid attention to the luck on it, really, as I've never tried building a luck suit. It was always a weapon for champ spawns in my mind. And it still is.

I also like the Bracelet of Paracelsus change. Together with the Ring of the Elements, that is a hefty stack of resistances, leaving a player able to sacrifice resists on armor in lieu of favorable other mods. There is always going to be a bit of give and take building suits. And the more "odd" items there are, the easier it will be to squeeze something in to make it just right for that character.

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:5902, old post ID:35738
ggkthx

Post by ggkthx »

If you're trying to get resists from jewels and mods from armor you're doing it wrong.

Not that I don't fill resist holes with jewels as needed but that's not what I'm talking about.

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:5902, old post ID:35740
Nexus Graveheart

To each player his own.

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:5902, old post ID:35741
Ixxie

Post by Ixxie »

Death wrote:The original version came with self repair so it was carried over.
i don't disagree on any item in particular (although i was perfectly happy with the red wing gloves just as they were), but this statement kind of irks me. A LOT of stupid crap came with the game in general, and one of the perks of playing on a custom server is the ability to get rid of the stupid crap OSI did to it. i'm with Bubbles, self repair is retarded. i'd be more than happy to see it go in favour of something useful.

And longshot was just...fun :( The thing only shoots about every 5 seconds and it hits like a girl anyway, does it really need to be further emasculated?

But i looooove the tokens. Are we getting the ones with the giant spinning globe too? Swoon :D Do we know yet how we're going to be able to acquire any of these?

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:5902, old post ID:35742
Nexus Graveheart

I disagree that self-repair is retarded. I don't always check my armor or weapons on a regular basis, and usually when I do find out it's getting low is when you get the message that it is about to break. Self-repair prevents this, or at least slows it down quite a bit. While it shouldn't be an overly used property, it is a good thing to have on any piece that generally takes high durability abuse.

And the Red Wind Gloves have always been a custom, they didn't "come with the game in general"

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:5902, old post ID:35744
ggkthx

Post by ggkthx »

Nexus Graveheart wrote: I don't always check my armor or weapons on a regular basis, and usually when I do find out it's getting low is when you get the message that it is about to break.
See, you just solved your own problem there. User error.
Items should need to be repaired. It's part of the game. A good part. Or fine, lets just give everything self repair, and self casting, and self farming, then you won't have to do anything yourself.

And she wasn't talking about red wind gloves until after that, so you're arguing with a point that was not made. Reading comprehension please.
I'd better shut up though before I get yelled at. :(

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:5902, old post ID:35746
Nexus Graveheart

I agree it is a user error. But Self Repair isn't a standard, it is a bonus. It is a bailout when somebody does mess up. Mistakes happen. I wasn't in any way implying that items should never lose durability and break, only that it is a nice thing to have on some items.

And the reason I focused on the Red Wing Gloves is because the quote from Death was a statement regarding those gloves.

I apologize for my opinion annoying you. But we're getting off-track here. Back to the item discussion!

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:5902, old post ID:35748
Ixxie

Post by Ixxie »

self repair to me is just one more way for UO to be idiot-proof. Those of us who are not full time idiots kind of like a little bit of a challenge. So...waiting until your gear is about to fall off is kind of a PEBCAK imo.

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:5902, old post ID:35750
Nexus Graveheart

Perhaps keep the Paracelsus bracelet with the new resists until such time as the Damage Eater property can be implemented, if, of course, it will be. Then it could be a percentage of a random eater or a small percentage of each, perhaps with one lesser property. That would fall in line with Paracelsus being the Master of the Elements and would, in time, make the bracelet more useful and valuable.

http://www.uoguide.com/Damage_Eater

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:5902, old post ID:35751
Death

Post by Death »

Elani wrote:
Death wrote:The original version came with self repair so it was carried over.
i don't disagree on any item in particular (although i was perfectly happy with the red wing gloves just as they were), but this statement kind of irks me. A LOT of stupid crap came with the game in general, and one of the perks of playing on a custom server is the ability to get rid of the stupid crap OSI did to it. i'm with Bubbles, self repair is retarded. i'd be more than happy to see it go in favour of something useful.

And longshot was just...fun :( The thing only shoots about every 5 seconds and it hits like a girl anyway, does it really need to be further emasculated?

But i looooove the tokens. Are we getting the ones with the giant spinning globe too? Swoon :D Do we know yet how we're going to be able to acquire any of these?
That's true that a lot of stupid stuff did come with the game, we each have our own opinions on that. I, personally, don't believe that the balanced property serves much purpose when a simple potion delay could have existed for 2 handed weaponry. However, we will make use with the properties we've been given as they have become part of the game in general. Some people like certain properties, while others do not. If somebody didn't have a crafter or was looking to train, then the self repair property would be a valuable alternative to them.

Considering you are getting more range off the longshot, it should come with some kind of penalty. The penalty can be overcome if you know how anyway.

Yes, the shard is going to have the tokens and anniversary items. Heritage tokens will be put into the game and other OSI items may find their way into the game somehow (.....spring cleanup maaaaaaybe.....*big grin*).

Heritage tokens may be made available as donation, that's up to Red's jurisdiction. There's also shard/UO anniversary coming up so the players of AOV should get something special (Not promising anything, just letting you know it's been discussed).
Nexus Graveheart wrote:Perhaps keep the Paracelsus bracelet with the new resists until such time as the Damage Eater property can be implemented, if, of course, it will be. Then it could be a percentage of a random eater or a small percentage of each, perhaps with one lesser property. That would fall in line with Paracelsus being the Master of the Elements and would, in time, make the bracelet more useful and valuable.

http://www.uoguide.com/Damage_Eater
UOSA properties will likely surface when we begin in detail to code that era (We've started a bit, but mostly just teasers). It's always a possibility to do that in the future Nexus but we would like to avoid further artifact fixes. Basically the ones planned for change now are a one time deal. However, if there's something new that comes up that would better suit an artifact we can always make a suggestion or another addition (2 different bracelet possibilities)

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:5902, old post ID:35754
d.

Post by d. »

Elani wrote:self repair to me is just one more way for UO to be idiot-proof. Those of us who are not full time idiots kind of like a little bit of a challenge. So...waiting until your gear is about to fall off is kind of a PEBCAK imo.
Post-AoS. Insurance, lrc, lmc, balanced weapons to chug potions, spell-channeling. This isn't a very hard game to play, lots of things are easy-mode. Self repair isn't really a big deal.

To be honest, I think "self-repair deeds", to add self-repair onto any item would be excellent. They could be priced at several million on the custom vendor. This would be an excellent gold-sink (a critical element for any server that wishes to have a successful economy.) This would reduce inflation, thus keeping prices reasonable (making items more easily affordable for newer players.) Also, it wouldn't really be a 'fairness' issue, as the self-repair property added to any item really doesn't give the user a play-advantage (in comparison to ridiculously unbalanced deeds like +casting/sdi/lmc whatever.)

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:5902, old post ID:35758
Death

Post by Death »

Second row is looking good. Updated most to the "green" approved list. Here's the artifacts that have had mixed feelings:

The Barrier (AOA) -> Barrier Crest (AOA)
Brace of Paracelsus (AOA) -> Brace of Paracelsus (Paracelsus)
Boots of Construction (AOA) -> AOA Reroll

The uncertainty is listed underneath the artifact name. We will glance them over once more and make a final change.

Row three artifact listing will be posted tonight.

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:5902, old post ID:35794
Nexus Graveheart

I'm fine with the Brace of Paracelsus as is at the moment.

The shield I am OK with as well. But if necessary perhaps a small skill bonus (+5) to Bushido or Parry.

The boots. In lieu of cutting it out, you could also perhaps drop the resist to ~10% and list it as a veteran reward.

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:5902, old post ID:35796
ggkthx

Post by ggkthx »

Not fine with the Brace, the random skill was the only cool thing about it, resist I can get anywhere, including on jewels that also have other mods on them.

Shield, don't care but dci to 10% at least? I mean, its a shield, it protects you right?

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:5902, old post ID:35797
Death

Post by Death »

ggkthx wrote:Not fine with the Brace, the random skill was the only cool thing about it, resist I can get anywhere, including on jewels that also have other mods on them.

Shield, don't care but dci to 10% at least? I mean, its a shield, it protects you right?
Both changes are good.

Barrier Crest = Will upgrade DCI from 5% to 10%

Brace of Paracelsus = Will keep the same as the original. Once the "damage eater" properties are introduced, we can introduce a new ring/brace that has an even spread of eater properties.

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:5902, old post ID:35798
Ixxie

Post by Ixxie »

i really love how well this is going :D devs that actually care what their playerbase wants make me all squishy inside ImageImageImage

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:5902, old post ID:35799